UGANDA

Our Coffees

Name Origin Processing Certification
Scr15 Within a 300km radius around Lake Victoria Natural None Select
Scr18 Within a 300km radius around Lake Victoria Natural None Select
Bugisu AA Mt. Elgon and other regions across Uganda Washed None Select
Bugisu AA Mt. Elgon and other regions across Uganda Washed Fairtrade Organic Select

More about Uganda

The Republic of Uganda is a landlocked country in East Africa in the beautiful African Great Lakes region. It is bordered to the east by Kenya, to the north by South Sudan, to the west by the Democratic Republic of the Congo, to the south-west by Rwanda, and to the south by Tanzania.

Annual production: 4.5 million bags
Altitude range: 1,300-2000 masl
No coffee farmers: 500,000
Harvest times: October - February (fly crop: April - August)
Key growing regions: West Nile (Okoro), Northern Region (Lira, Gulu), Eastern (Mbale, Bugisu), Central & South West (Jinja, Mukono, Kampala, Masaka), Western Region (Kasese, Mbarara)
Typical varieties: Robusta: Coffea Canephora (99%) of Robusta production; and Coffea Liberica.Arabica: Typica, SL14, SL28, Kent
Grading system: Arabica (produced in the District of Bugishu or Sebei): Graded "AA" (screen 17/18), A, A+, B, AB, PB. Robusta: Screens 12, 15 and 18
Processing type: Washed and Natural

Production Information

It is true that wild Robusta coffee trees can be found in Uganda, providing evidence to the claim that the Robusta tree is indigenous to the country. It is most certainly the dominant species in Uganda, representing roughly 80% of total production in Uganda (the other 20% comprising Arabica varietals Typica, SL 14, SL 28 and Kent).

Coffee seedlings being grown in Uganda
Made by SugarShaker